Power Foods that Lift the Spirit
Need a pick-me-up? Consider eating one of these power foods. They are packed with vitamins and nutrients that are scientifically proven to improve your mood and leave you feeling more energized. The food that you eat plays a major role in managing your mental health, especially if you have any experience with mood disorders like depression.
If your usual way of unwinding isn’t leaving you as satisfied lately, here are a few foods to try.
Eggs are loaded with Vitamin B, a folic acid that helps produce the chemicals in your brain responsible for mood regulation. Without enough, you’re likely to “flip-flop” between moods more often or experience a persistent sadness or low feeling. You can find B6 and B12 vitamins in eggs as well as poultry and leafy greens like spinach.
Treat yourself to a bit of decadence and mood booster with a serving of dark chocolate. Sugar can be helpful in providing some immediate perks, but there are other healthy properties in chocolate that make it worth eating. Namely, there are molecules called flavonoids that can help improve blood flow to your brain, which may help improve mood regulation and stability.
A serving of salmon or tuna is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, which are crucial to improving your brain’s functionality. Omega-3 acids are essential because our bodies don’t produce them on their own; eating some fatty fish a few times a week is a great way to nurture your brain and even lower the effects of depression.[i]
This fruit is shaped like a smile and for good reason! As a fantastic source of fiber and vitamin B6, bananas improve the levels of your brain’s “feel-good chemicals” aka the neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine.
Stabilizing your blood sugar levels by routinely consuming natural sugars can also keep your spirits high. Never pass a day without fruit!
Change Your Diet and Your Life
The better you eat, the better you feel. Foods play a tremendous role in your psychological and physical well-being. By taking a closer look at what you eat each day, you can tailor your own meals to provide what you need. Whether it’s more energy or a happier mood, eating right helps you lead a more positive, energized and active life.
- Gratitude - Key to a Positive Mindset
- Adopting a Holistic Wellness Approach to a Healthier You
- 3 Common Sense Things People Should Know
- Exploring Superfoods: Nutrient-Packed Ingredients for a Healthy Diet
- Unraveling the Mystery of the Extra Day
- Digital Detox: A Healthy You in a Hyperconnected World
- Financial Fitness in 2024: Budgeting and Saving Tips
- Three Joyful Habits for a Healthier You in 2024
- New Year's Resolutions: Staying Committed Year Round
- The Magic of Christmas Traditions
- Staying Healthy During the Winter Months!
- How to be a Time Management Whiz During this Busy Season
- Self-care tips for December
- Five Health “Hacks” For Happy Holidays
- Turning 65? Looking at Medicare?
- Turning 65? What You Need to Know about Signing up for Medicare
- The Smart Home: What is that?
- Important definitions to help you understand your life Insurance
- Why an Insurance Agent Makes a Difference When Buying an Insurance Plan
- Preparing For an Emergency
- Davis Insurance Fresh New Look!
- Why Do I Pay Medicare Part B
- Don’t Let Insurance Coverage Gaps Put You at Financial Risk
- It’s February And That Means It’s American Heart Month
- Starting a New Business? Don’t Forget Your Insurance
- How to Stay on Track with Healthy Goals for 2017
- Insurance and Financial Planning Resolution for 2017!
- Wishing You a Happy Holiday Season
- End of the Year Financial To-Do List
- Modest Increases for 2017 Medicare Parts A & B Premiums and Deductibles
- Open Enrollment For Health Insurance is Here!
- Eat Well, Sleep Enough and Move to Stay Healthy
- Four things to know about Medicare Open Enrollment
- Pick a Plan, then Find The Right Doctor