7 Ways to Improve the Quality of Life of Seniors You Care About
Quality of life is defined by an individual’s physical, mental, and emotional state of health. As we age, it becomes more important than ever to maintain a conscious effort to support each of these factors to develop a feeling of satisfaction and fulfillment.
By encouraging and guiding seniors in a positive manner, you can help them have more energy with less stress while helping reduce cognitive declines. We’ve gathered 7 helpful tips to improve the quality of life for the seniors you love.
- Encourage outdoor activity – Daily time spent outdoors promotes physical activity as well as nourishment for the mind by providing an opportunity to connect with nature.
- Create a sense of purpose – Seniors have so much to give. Their knowledge and creatively should be shared as way to give back and connect with those around them.
- Provide a daily routine – Involving seniors in the everyday work such as cooking, light cleaning, or watching a grandchild builds upon their sense of usefulness.
- Help make connections – 1 in 3 seniors feel lonely. Take time to help seniors engage with people beyond just their closest friends and family.
- Stay physically active – Emotional health is highly correlated to physical health. Establishing a regular exercise routine can boost morale and spirits.
- Stay mentally active –The mind needs exercise too. Engage seniors in puzzles, trivia, and other brain activities to help sharpen their focus and memory.
- Improve financial management and wishes – Many seniors worry their finances will not be handled as desired. Engage a financial professional to relieve them of this worry.
Our country has the best medical care in the entire world. However, just being alive is not enough. It is up to us to make sure our elders have a good quality of life worthy of living.